If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Originally this is a classical recipe of Siena (Italy) or at least is there where I learned it. I do not know if the procedures reflects the original recipe, but surely the result does it. It require long time but absolutely no efforts and it makes a delicious breakfast or, why not, something to serve at the end of meal with a closing dinner wine. —mayamari
Makes: 1 loaf
Raising time 4 hours
cup all-purpose flour
cups whole wheat flour
teaspoon dried yeast
milliliters lukewarm water
- Mix the two flours in a bowl. Mix in the yeast and the salt. Pour half of the amount of the water and let it sink before starting to shape the dough. Add the remaining water. The dough should be soft but no sticky neither to the fingers nor to the kneading surface. Knead it with the lower palm of the hand. If it sticks just dust your hand or the surface with the minimum amount of flour. If instead needs more water added little at a time in order to not exceed. Knead for 5 min.
- Shaped into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover with a plastic bag, to keep it moisten.
Adding the ingredients
cup raisins, soften in hot water and drained
cup walnuts, roughly chopped
cup soft dried figs cut in quarters
teaspoon cinnamon in powder
tablespoons brown sugar
- Take the dough and open it with the fingers on the kneading surface. Put the sugar mixed with the cinnamon and the walnuts in the middle and bring the edges over the ingredients, press and start to knead. It might stick now to your finger, grease with the oil your hand and the kneading surface. Keep kneading until the ingredients are well amalgamated.
- Again open the dough in a circle with your hand. Place the raisins, the figs, cover by pulling over the edges and start to knead. Again you might need some olive oil on your hand. Keep kneading. If slightly stick to the surface dust it with little flour. The dough will be soft, elastic and shining.
- Shape a ball. Grease a baking tray place the dough in the center and with a rolling pin press gently the top after greasing it with some oil. Let to rise for 1 1/2 hour.
- Bring the oven to 220C. Bake for 45 min.
More Great Recipes: