If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe combines the flavors of chocolate, bourbon and coffee for an intense flavor and buzz. I originally published a version of this recipe at http://heightseats.com/2007/12/mini-mud-pies-with-bruleed-bananas/ (which also contains a recipe for a granola pie crust). —Heights Eats
Makes 1 quart
- 2 cups Whole Milk
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 5 tablespoons brewed strong coffee
- 3 tablespoons bourbon, divided
- 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch. In another large bowl, whisk the cream cheese and salt until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, combine the remaining milk with the heavy cream, ½ cup sugar and corn syrup. Bring the milk mixture to a boil and cook over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves, about 4 minutes. Off the heat, gradually whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and cook over moderately high heat until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture until smooth.
- Make the chocolate coffee bourbon sauce: Bring cocoa, brewed coffee, 2 TB. bourbon and remaining ½ cup sugar to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over high heat; cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate, vanilla and remaining tablespoon bourbon.
- Stir sauce into ice cream base. Cover and chill, then churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to a container and freeze until firm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
More Great Recipes: Ice Cream & Frozen Desserts