Author Notes: Black gram lentil is commonly used in India. has loads of Phosphorus and Calcium. It is also a good source of Protein and Carbohydrates.
Its Hanuma Jayanthi today and I decided to make "Milagu Vada" garland for Lord Hanuman. I was scared as it might be a difficult task to get the right (padham) consistency of the dough. Thanks to my mom. She told me exactly how I could make it the authentic way with some tips. So lets make Milagu Vada for Lord Hanuman. Sri Ramajeyam! :) —yMarni
cup Urad Dhal/ Black Lentil/ Vigna mungo
teaspoon Black Pepper corns, whole
teaspoon Cumin seeds
teaspoon Rice Flour
cups Canola Oil, Any preferable oil to fry
- Soak Urad dhal(type of lentil) for just 20 mins. This is also called as Blackgram dhal.
- Drain the water and grind it coarsely with absolutely no water. I used a food processor. It worked much better than a blender.
- Pulse the black pepper corns and cumin in a spice grinder until they are coarsely ground.
- Mix the coarsely ground urad dhal, black pepper corns, cumin with salt and a tsp of rice flour.
- Grease a plastic cover like a ziplock cover or banana leaf as it is traditionally used with some oil/ clarified butter.
- Make golf size balls of of the prepared dough.
- Press this ball flat on the greased surface. It may not be really thin.
- Fry this in medium temperature oil.