Author Notes: This is a simple, easy salad that makes a great starter for any meal. The sweet lobster meat and corn are a wonderful compliment next to the creamy cool avocado. Everything is tied together with a simple lemon vinaigrette. —LittleRedKitchen
For the salad:
1 1/4 - 1/2 pound lobsters
ears sweet corn, kernels removed from cob
avocado, cut into 1/2 inch dice
tomato, cut into 1/2 inch dice
For the vinaigrette:
teaspoon dijon mustard
tablespoon fresh lemon juice
tablespoons white wine vinegar
cup extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot place 2 inches of salted water, set a steaming rack on top and steam your lobsters for 12-14 minutes. As an alternative you can also boil them for 10-12 minutes until bright red.
- Remove the lobsters from the pot and immediately plunge into a large bowl full of ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Remove the meat and cut into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces. Not too small, you want to see the lobster!
- Place the lobster in a mixing bowl with the diced avocado and tomatoes.
- Take the stripped kernels and saute them with about 1/2 tablespoon of butter and a little salt and pepper for about 5 minutes. Add to the lobster mixture.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard, lemon juice and white wine vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the lobster mixture until it just coats everything, taste and add more if necessary. You may not need it all, reserve the vinaigrette for a later use. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Lobster salad can be served right away or chilled for later use, the acid from the lemon and vinegar will keep your avocados from turning brown.