Author Notes: A few years ago I saw a Facebook post with a link to a recipe for a Grilled Cheese with Blackberry Jam Sandwich. At first I was repelled, but as I tasted it in my mind's tongue, it grew on me. I even bought a jar of blackberry jam, but my husband ate it up before I got a chance to make the sandwich. Time passed.... until the grape contest! So I started with making Grape Butter from The Essential NYT Cook Book (a snap), then this sandwich. The red onion trick is snitched from Nancy Silverton's Pastries fromLa Brea Bakery. Very fussy, but delicious and beautiful. —luvcookbooks
slice whole wheat bread
tablespoons grape butter
slice Muenster or other mild cheese
thin slice red onion
- Put a little olive oil in a small frying pan and gently cook the slice of red onion. Be careful not to disconnect the rings. Salt and pepper to taste. When the onion is soft, dribble over a little bit of sherry vinegar.
- Put the slice of bread in a baking pan. Layer the grape jam and cheese on the bread. Carefully transfer the onion slice to sit on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with a little pepper.
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with chives, or another herb, if desired.. Eat with a mug of hard cider. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grapes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique