Author Notes: Smoky lardons and tangy Granny Smith apples meet brussels sprouts for an easy yet delectable fall dish. —hadleyinparis
Serves: 4, as side dish
ounces lardons (French-style bacon; chopped American bacon would also work)
tablespoon olive oil
tart apple (e.g., Granny Smith), diced
cups brussels sprouts
cup dry white wine (e.g., sauvignon blanc)
cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
In This Recipe
- Prepare the brussels sprouts: chop off and discard the ends and slice vertically.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add lardons and cook for 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add apple and cook until it begins to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine, cooking for 1 minute.
- Add sliced brussels sprouts and mix well. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring at regular intervals.
- Add broth and stir well. Cook another 3-4 minutes, until all liquid has been absorbed and the mixture begins to stick a bit to the pan.
- Salt and pepper to taste -- I recommend lots of peppers. Serve hot or at room temperature.