If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mother didn't always try to cook healthy. We all have the waistline ( or lack of) to prove it. Now that our family is older, we understand the importance of trying to live a healthy lifestyle. This recipe transforms carb loaded lasagna into a lower carb vegetarian friendly, and just as tasty, comfort food. —Holly Zajac
- 3 zucchini
- 1 tablespoon extra vigin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 brown mushrooms diced
- 15 ounces homemade spaghetti sauce or store bought if desired
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice zucchini into long slices about 1/4 inch thick. Make sure pieces are close to the same width for even cooking.
- Place zucchini on baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes to reduce moisture.
- While zucchini is cooking, cook diced red onions for 2 minutes then add mushrooms.
- Cook onions and mushrooms until the mushrooms are just turning soft.
- Add your sauce to the mushroom mixture mixing to incorporate the vegetables.
- Remove zucchini from oven.
- Mix ricotta with the egg and set aside.
- Start assembling the lasagna by spooning sauce into bottom of 8 inch by 8 inch glass dish. Next add zucchini, another thin layer of sauce, half the chopped spinach,half of the ricotta mixture, followed by half of the shredded mozzarella. Repeat.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake one hour. Remove foil and bake for an addition 10 or until top layer of cheese is slightly browned.