My mother didn't always try to cook healthy. We all have the waistline ( or lack of) to prove it. Now that our family is older, we understand the importance of trying to live a healthy lifestyle. This recipe transforms carb loaded lasagna into a lower carb vegetarian friendly, and just as tasty, comfort food. —Holly Zajac
- Serves 4
extra vigin olive oil
red onion diced
brown mushrooms diced
homemade spaghetti sauce or store bought if desired
shredded mozzarella cheese
chopped fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Slice zucchini into long slices about 1/4 inch thick. Make sure pieces are close to the same width for even cooking.
- Place zucchini on baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes to reduce moisture.
- While zucchini is cooking, cook diced red onions for 2 minutes then add mushrooms.
- Cook onions and mushrooms until the mushrooms are just turning soft.
- Add your sauce to the mushroom mixture mixing to incorporate the vegetables.
- Remove zucchini from oven.
- Mix ricotta with the egg and set aside.
- Start assembling the lasagna by spooning sauce into bottom of 8 inch by 8 inch glass dish. Next add zucchini, another thin layer of sauce, half the chopped spinach,half of the ricotta mixture, followed by half of the shredded mozzarella. Repeat.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil. Bake one hour. Remove foil and bake for an addition 10 or until top layer of cheese is slightly browned.