This potato salad (in many variations) was a staple in my family. The recipe can be tweaked in many ways, by adding herbs (I like oregano), spring onions, leek, tomatoes, peas, beets, or whatever else is in season, eggs or sausages. It is dairy free which makes it quite suitable for a summer barbeque or garden party. In the winter, it can be served as a warm salad, when prepared as a cold salad it is a nice way to use up those leftover potatoes. —Poinsettia
- boil potatoes, remove skin, and allow to cool (can use leftover potato)
- slice or cube potatoes and onion and mix
- thoroughly blend oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to make a basic vinegrette
- add vinegrette and herbs to potatoes, and mix; be careful not to break the potatoes.
- the salad can be eaten immediately or allowed to rest for several hours of over night in the refrigerator; if it is not eaten right away, taste it before serving as potatoes can "hide" a lot of salt and pepper, and add more spices, oil and vinegar as needed (for the calorie sensitive water can be added instead of oil at this point.