If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm not a fan of real sweet desserts, although now and then a little chocolate or ice cream is extremely tempting. This little cake pairs vanilla, macadamia nuts and whipping cream for a satisfying treat. —inpatskitchen
Makes one 10 inch cake
For the cake
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 room temperature eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Place the macadamia nuts on a baking sheet and lightly toast in a pre heated 325F oven for about 8 minutes. Cool and grind.
- Whisk the flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs and then add the sugar. With an electric mixer, beat this mixture for at least 10 minutes. The mixture needs to be very pale and thick.
- In a small pan, gently melt the butter and off the heat, stir in the cream and vanilla extract.
- Stir the flour mixture a little at a time alternating with the butter mixture into the egg/sugar mixture until well combined. Stir in all but 4 tablespoons of the nuts. (they'll be reserved for garnish later)
- Line a 10 inch spring form pan with parchment paper and spray the parchment and the sides of the pan with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake in a pre heated 375F oven for 30 minutes or until that toothpick comes out clean. Out of the oven, let the cake cool thoroughly.
For the whipped cream topping and putting it all together.
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 8 ounces whipping cream
- The cooled cake
- The 4 tablespoons of reserved macadamia nuts
- Milk chocolate shavings for garnish (optional)
- With an electric mixer or electric wire whip, start mixing the mascarpone, vanilla and powdered sugar. Slowly add the whipping cream while mixing until everything comes together.
- Remove the cooled cake from the pan (along with the parchment - it should peel right off) and place on a plate. Spread topping all over the cake. It may seem like a lot but use it all. Scatter the reserved nuts and chocolate shavings (if using) over the top of the cake. Serve chilled.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla