If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An original technique as well as recipe that uses the nuances of vanilla to accentuate the delicacies of prawns! A different and unique addition to any plate or soup! —Ryan Stoy
Makes 1 cup
- 1 pint prawn shells
- quarter teaspoons paprika, smoked or unsmoked
- quarter cups tomato paste
- 1 vanilla bean, halved and scrapped
- quarter cups Sherry Wine
- 1 cup Canola Oil
- In a medium sauce pot, heat a small amount of the oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp shells and vanilla beans and cook until the prawn shells are pinkish red in color.
- Sprinkle with the paprika and add tomato paste. Stir constantly for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the sherry wine.
- Allow sherry wine to reduce almost completely. Add canola oil and remove from heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrap the bottom of the pan so all is loose and nothing is stuck to the bottom or sides of the pan. Allow to steep for 30 minutes.
- Transfer everything to a blender and blend on high for 3 minutes. Strain through a coffee filter over night and reserve oil for later use. Discard the pureed byproduct. Store oil chilled.