Author Notes: Cranberry Sauce that is a crowd pleaser. The zest and sugar make this your new favorite fruit dish this holiday season. Can be made a week ahead. Bring to room temperature before serving. —Amy Stafford @ A Healthy Life For Me
cup ruby port
cup granulated sugar
whole star anise
ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- In a medium saucepan, combine the port, sugar, star anise, salt and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. As soon as it starts to boil, remove it from the heat, cover and let stand for 20 minutes to infuse the star anise into the liquid.
- Pick through the cranberries for stems, rinse them well in a colander and drain.
- Return the liquid to boil over medium high heat and add the cranberries.
- Discard star of anise. Stir in zest and let sauce cool to room temperature.