If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cranberry Sauce that is a crowd pleaser. I got this out of Fine Cooking years ago and still serve and get requests for the recipe. The zest and sugar make this your new favorite fruit dish this holiday season. Can be made a week ahead. Bring to room temperature before serving. —Amy Stafford @ A Healthy Life For Me
cup ruby port
cup granulated sugar
whole star anise
pinch of salt
ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- In a medium saucepan, combine the port, sugar, star anise, salt and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. As soon as it starts to boil, remove it from the heat, cover and let stand for 20 minutes to infuse the star anise into the liquid.
- Pick through the cranberries for stems, rinse them well in a colander and drain.
- Return the liquid to boil over medium high heat and add the cranberries.
- When the mixture again returns to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and cook, occasionally stirring gently, until most of the berries have popped open and the sauce thickens slightly. 8-10 minutes.
- Discard star of anise. Stir in zest and let sauce cool to room temperature.