- Prep time 10 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- Serves 2
This method of cooking the steak partly on the stove and partly in the oven promises a good steak which is perfectly cooked, browned but not burned and ready just in time for the sauce. I love the richness of the ribeye, I think it is perfectly marbled, specially if you can find aged kobe style beef. Cooking it in duck fat it cooked in just complement it. This stake also needs a classic sauce that can stand up to it. The sweet marsala is great with the richness of the beef, which is salted and peppered generously, and the earthiness of the mushrooms. And it goes great with polenta and good full body wine. Don't plan on being very active after this kind of dinner.
aged rib eye steaks about 1 inch thick, about 1/2 pound each
mix of sliced button mushroom and chanterelle mushrooms
clove of garlic
mix of chopped thyme and rosemary
duck fat (or olive oil)
dry marsala wine
aged balsamic vinegar
coarse salt and coarse pepper
- Take the steaks out of the fridge about an hour before cooking them. Salt and pepper them abundantly on both sides and press the salt and pepper into the meat a bit.
- In a skillet put a tablespoon of olive oil and butter and melt on high heat until the butter foams. Add the mushrooms, thyme and rosemary and a bit of salt. Cook on high heat mixing from time to time (but not too much, so they get the chance to brown), about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and pepper and satue for one more minute. Remove from the heat and set a side.
- Warm the oven to 360 degrees, put in a baking sheet to warm as well.
- Warm very well on high heat a heavy oven and stove proof skillet. Add the duck fat and melt. Add the stakes and saute on very high heat for 3 minutes on each side until dark brown and caramelized.
- Transfer the steaks to the warm baking sheet in the oven. Cook for 7-10 minutes depending on how done you like it (this is to about medium). Take them out and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steaks in the oven, make the sauce in the same skillet you used for the steaks: deglaze the pan with the wine, cook for 3 minutes to reduce and cook out the alcohol. Add salt and pepper and vinegar. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add the mushroom mixture and cream and cook for a minute. Take off the heat and add the parsley to freshen the sauce. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Put the stake on warm plate and spoon the sauce on top.
- Best served with creamy mascarpone polenta.