Author Notes: This incredibly easy and attractive dish pairs sugary Sungold tomatoes with sweet sauteed Scallops and Pasta. If you are looking for a quick pasta dish that looks beautiful and tastes like everything good about summer, this is it!
Large Clove of Garlic, Minced
teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
tablespoon Olive Oil
handfuls Sungold Tomatoes
tablespoons Unsalted Butter
small Basil leaves + a few Basil Sprigs for garnish
pound Dry Sea Scallops, muscle removed, rinsed and patted dry
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Set a large pasta pot of Salted water to boil. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tablespoons Oil and 1 Tablespoon Butter over high heat until very hot, almost to the point of smoking.
- Season Scallops of both sides with Salt and Pepper and carefully place in the skillet. Cook 2-3 minutes per side (depending on the size of the Scallop) until cooked through but not overcooked. If you achieve a nice golden sear on them, all the better. If they don't sear, (non dry sea scallops will have this issue) they will still taste great, don't worry.
- Remove Scallops to a plate when done and set aside. Once cool enough to handle, cut them into halves.
- Once your pasta water is boiling, begin cooking the Spaghetti according to package directions.
- In a second large skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon Oil over medium heat. Add Garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute or so. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper, and the Tomatoes. Cook, semi-covered, for 8 minutes or more, tossing occasionally. If Tomatoes burst open, don't worry. I prefer to keep them whole so if they start to pop too much you can turn off the heat. If you don't mind them popping open, that's fine too.
- Once Spaghetti has finished, drain and return it to pasta pot. Stir in 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, the remaining teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper (or more if you like it spicy), and the 10 Basil Leaves. Toss until the butter has melted. Next, pour the Tomatoes into the pasta pot and season to taste with Salt and Pepper. 1 Teaspoon of Salt will give it nice flavor but the amount you prefer is up to you.
- Scoop Pasta and Tomatoes into your plate and top with the Scallops. Garnish with a Basil Sprig. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe