A hearty grain like farro is the perfect base for winter ingredients to shine. The natural sweetness of the sweet potato meshes effortlessly with the tartness of the feta and the citrus of the pomegranate seeds. All of the flavors blend together with the help of a lemony cumin vinaigrette that makes the whole dish sing. Its winter in a bite. —Amanda Shulman
- Serves 5 hungry people
- The Salad
feta cheese, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- The Cumin Vinaigrette
red wine vinegar
- Pour the farro and the chicken broth into a pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid, and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until the farro is tender. The farro should absorb most of the liquid, but if there is excess, drain it and pour the farro into a bowl.
- Let the farro come to room temperature and set aside.
- Using a fork poke gentle holes all over the sweet potato. Put the sweet potato in the microwave for 6 minutes. Remove the potato from the microwave and stick in the freezer to cool it quickly so you are able to handle it, about 5-7 minutes.
- Once able to handle, remove the skin of the potato with your fingers. Slice the skinned potato into 1/2 inch chunky pieces and set aside.
- For the vinaigrette, squeeze the juice of two of the lemons into a small mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk furiously. The mixture should thicken. Season with salt to taste.
- Once the farro is room temperature, (can be a tad warm if you like), pour all of the dressing and toss to coat.
- Add the sweet potato cubes, pomegranate seeds and feta. Squeeze the juice of the third lemon over the whole mixture, and gently toss one last time.