Author Notes: From Nigel Slater's Tender, this potato cake is like one giant, amazing latke. Slater calls for Duck or Goose fat but I just used butter and it was just as good. —Happyolks
large russet potatoes
teaspoons flaky sea salt
teaspoons fresh thyme
- Shred potatoes by hand or with the fine shred setting on the food processor.
- Melt butter in a cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Press shredded potatoes, garlic, and thyme evenly into the pan and cook for 15 minutes until the bottom is completely browned. With a spatula, carefully create some space between the pan and the cake. Place a large plate over the top of the pan and flip cake onto the plate.
- Add a bit more butter and slide cake back into the pan and brown on the opposite side.
- Serve with flakes of salt and lemony greens.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!