Meaty Portobellos and Lemon Kale Topped with Pumpkin Seed Cream
by: Lauren Goslin
December 29, 2012
- Serves 1-2
This vegan entree is made up of two portobello mushroom steaks, topped with lemony kale, and a creamy garlic pumpkin seed sauce. —Lauren Goslin
What You'll Need
4-5 inch portobello mushrooms
pumpkin seeds (soaked in 1 cup water + 1/2 teaspoon salt for at least 8 hours)
water (not soaking water)
flour (spelt or rice)
freshly grated nutmeg
fresh lemon juice
kale leaves, de-stemmed, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut the stems off of the portobellos.
- De-gill the mushroom. Using a spoon, gently scrape out the gills and stem stump, being careful not the remove the flesh. Also, using a damp, clean cloth, gently rub the outside (top) of the mushroom clean. They should NOT be cleaned by running them under water, as mushrooms are sponge-like, and will absorb the water, consequently diluting the flavor.
- Mix together the first five ingredients for the marinade (grapeseed oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper).
- Pour the marinade into a pie plate (or a large enough baking dish), coat the mushroom caps with the marinade being careful to get into all of the crevices, and let the caps marinate for one hour. You can flip the mushrooms over a few times during this period to equally marinate both sides. I have found this step to be critical in taste and consistency, so don't skip it!
- Heat a non-stick grill pan to medium.
- Grill the portobellos for about 5-6 minutes per side. No oil is needed here, as the mushrooms were already soaking in the oil-based marinade.
- For the pumpkin seed cream, blend the soaked seeds with the water for about 2 minutes.
- Strain the mix either using a nut milk bag or a sieve, removing the pulp.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a small skillet.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 20 seconds.
- Add the pumpkin milk, nutritional yeast, and flour.
- Stir until thickened (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the nutmeg and 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice, tasting as you go.
- For the kale, heat the remaining coconut oil in a skillet.
- Add the chopped kale, and saute just until wilted (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the lemon zest and juice, and season to taste.
- To assemble: Dollop a spoonful of the pumpkin seed cream onto a plate.
- Top with the portobello steaks, followed by the lemon kale, and more pumpkin seed cream for the top.
- Garnish with a handful of raw pumpkin seeds, and devour!
See what other Food52ers are saying.