If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was growing up, my mom was one of the few moms in our circle who worked outside the home. Despite the fact that she had a full time job as a university professor and wrote three books before I went away to college, she always made a home cooked dinner that was delicious. I learned my basic cooking philosophy from her -- there is no such thing as being too busy to cook from scratch. Now that I'm a working mom (with no books, but a blog), I appreciate recipes like this one, which I got from her. It's flavorful, simple, and above all fast, and allows me to get dinner on the table after I get home from work with a minimum of stress. —Savour
To prepare the steak:
- 1 flank steak, about 2-3 lbs.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons crumbled dried rosemary
For the cheese topping:
- 6 ounces feta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Score the flank steak on both sides with a diamond pattern.
- Season steak with salt and pepper, rub in olive oil and rosemary and leave to marinate at least one hour.
- Preheat your broiler.
- Combine feta, garlic, rosemary, parsley and some freshly ground pepper. Thin to a spreadable consistency with milk.
- Broil flank steak for 3 minutes on 1 side. Flip and broil 1-2 minutes. (Times indicated are for a relatively thin flank steak cooked rare. I use the hand test to test doneness - I poke it and if it feels like the meaty part between my thumb and index finger it's about right.)
- Spread the feta mixture on top of the entire steak. Broil until bubbly.
- Let steak rest for a minute or two, then slice on the diagonal.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Best Recipe or Technique Your Mother Taught You
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broiled Steak