- Serves 2 as a main, 6 as a side
Cannellini beans & kale browned with garlic, finished with cheddar. It's caused many of my friends & family to love kale.
I've made this recipe for over 10 years. It was a big hit in the vegetarian co-op I lived in in college, where we made a big communal meal every night. You can use gigante, cannellini, or any other white bean.
—Jenny the bear
15.5 can, or 2 cups home-cooked, cannellini beans
kale (any variety)
sharp cheddar, grated or chopped
cloves of garlic
olive oil or butter
oregano, red pepper flake (both optional)
- In a large pan, brown 2 cloves of chopped garlic in 2-3 Tb olive oil.
- When the garlic is lightly browned, add 1 can of drained white beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add an entire bunch of kale- washed, chopped roughly and de-stalked. Your pan will be entirely full but the kale will cook down to a manageable size soon. Keep the heat on medium and encourage the beans and greens to brown by stirring infrequently.
- When the kale has cooked down entirely, but still has a vibrant green color, turn off the heat. Stir in your cheese, season with pepper as needed.
- *Notes: 1) This recipe works best made in a cast iron skillet. 2)Walnuts make a great addition, added early on and allowed to brown. 3) With a cup of chicken, veggie or beef broth, and a big dash of red pepper flake, Cheesy Beans & Greens works well atop a pile of pasta.