If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cannellini beans & kale browned with garlic, finished with cheddar. It's caused many of my friends & family to love kale.
I've made this recipe for over 10 years. It was a big hit in the vegetarian co-op I lived in in college, where we made a big communal meal every night. You can use gigante, cannellini, or any other white bean.
—Jenny the bear
Serves 2 as a main, 6 as a side
15.5 can, or 2 cups home-cooked, cannellini beans
bunch kale (any variety)
ounces sharp cheddar, grated or chopped
cloves of garlic
olive oil or butter
pinches oregano, red pepper flake (both optional)
- In a large pan, brown 2 cloves of chopped garlic in 2-3 Tb olive oil.
- When the garlic is lightly browned, add 1 can of drained white beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add an entire bunch of kale- washed, chopped roughly and de-stalked. Your pan will be entirely full but the kale will cook down to a manageable size soon. Keep the heat on medium and encourage the beans and greens to brown by stirring infrequently.
- When the kale has cooked down entirely, but still has a vibrant green color, turn off the heat. Stir in your cheese, season with pepper as needed.
- *Notes: 1) This recipe works best made in a cast iron skillet. 2)Walnuts make a great addition, added early on and allowed to brown. 3) With a cup of chicken, veggie or beef broth, and a big dash of red pepper flake, Cheesy Beans & Greens works well atop a pile of pasta.