If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I lived in Germany for a while where Maultaschen are very popular.I can't find them here in Montreal so now I try to make them myself.You can use any type of meat but also salmon, or simply ricotta and spinach. These can be therefore be made for vegetarian. But the basic recipe is made with meat.
You can serve the Maultaschen in various ways:
- Simmered in some broth and served like a soup
- Cut into slices and pan-fried with small onions and aprsley
- Pan-fried with cheese and cream/milk sauce, and small onions. A little bit like ravioli.
Maultaschen are often served with German potato salad and green salad
- 200g ounces flour
- 1 egg
- 100g spinach
- 20g leek
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 200g ground meat (various meat of your choice)
- 50g bacon
- 1 egg
- 1/2 bread roll
- 3/4 liter broth
- For the dough: Whisk the egg then add the flour and one or two tbsp. water. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes by hand and add some flour if too sticky. Form a ball, wrap in a clean towel and let it rest for about an hour or more.
- For the filling Boil the spinach with some water. Set aside Slice the onion, the leek and the parsley. Melt some butter or oil in a skillet and fry the bacon and the onion. Add the leek, then the minced meat. Gently moisten the bread roll with some water and press dry. Combine the bread roll, the meat mixture and spinach in a bowl or food processor. Then fold in the egg and season well with salt and pepper.
- Make the Maultaschen: On floured board, roll out the dough into several thin rectangular sheets (1 mm or less), same size. With a tablespoon, place one tablespoon of the meat filling on each rectangle. Fold rectangle over and press sides to close them well (you can brush between the pockets with water "glue" top and bottom together). The Maultaschen should look like big raviolis.
- Cooking the Maultaschen Bring broth to a summer and place each Maultaschen in the broth for approx.. 15 minutes. Do this one Maultaschen at a time. Remove, drain, and keep warm.