If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I’d never eaten or heard of bircher muesli until visiting Australia, but ever since I’ve been making different versions of this basic recipe.
I think bircher muesli kind of sounds like some sort of genus-species name for tree, but I promise it’s better than that. It’s crunchy and creamy. Sweet and nutty. Cold and comforting. Light and filling.
It’s a simple and healthy breakfast that’s easy to throw together the night before and enjoy with whatever toppings and add-ins you fancy.
I topped this version with more yogurt, sliced bananas, pepitas, the first fresh figs of the season and a drizzle of honey. —leah.vandeveldt
- 1 cup rolled (old fashioned) oats
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 large apple, grated on a box grater
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt, extra to serve
- pepitas, a sliced fig, banana and honey to serve
- Place oats, coconut flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, grated apple, water, coconut milk and yogurt in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Store in the refrigerator overnight in an airtight container and eat with desired toppings in the morning.