If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Here's a nice alternative to cream of potato soup using roasted cauliflower which has become one of my favorite vegetables. Roasted garlic and some cheese really boost the flavor of this one. —inpatskitchen
Makes about 6 servings and doubles easily
- 1 nice size head cauliflower, broken into 1 to 2 inch florets
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 2 more tablespoons
- Salt and pepper for seasoning the cauliflower
- 6 whole cloves garlic, skins left on
- 1 medium leek, cleaned and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 2 cups cups shredded cheese ( I used 1 1/2 cups Kasseri and 1/2 cup Parmesan but use whatever you like....Fontina, Jack Cheddar etc.)
- Croutons and parsley for garnish
- Spread the cauliflower florets on a large rimmed baking sheet, sprinkle 1/4 cup oil over, add a generous amount of salt and pepper and toss.
- Place the garlic cloves in a corner of the baking sheet and pour the 2 tablespoons of oil over.
- Roast the cauliflower and garlic in a 425F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until it lightly browns around the edges. At about the 15 minute mark, turn the florets with a spatula. remove from the oven.
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, gently saute the leek in the butter until it softens. Add the cauliflower and squeeze the garlic out of its skin into the pot.
- Add the chicken broth, bring up to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool the soup to almost room temperature and then, in batches, puree the soup in a blender and return to the pot.
- Bring the pureed soup just up to a simmer, stir in the half and half completely and then slowly stir in the cheese a little at a time until it melts. Garnish each bowl with a little parsley and croutons. Soup's on!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for When You Want It to Feel Like Fall