An excellent winter soup.The smoked ham is an essential element because it gives the soup that smoky taste.My grand mother uses thick slices of smoked ham.She sometimes fries dices of ham with the dices of bread and tops everything onto the soup. —MarieGlobetrotter
- Prep time 30 hours
- Cook time 2 hours
- Serves 4-6
small ham hock
thick slices of smoked ham
celery stalk, diced
slices of thick bread
- Cut the onion and cook it in butter in a pot. Add the celery, lard, leek, ham hock and slices of smoked ham
- Pour 2,5L of water in the pot, then add the split peas, thyme, bay leave and add pepper to taste. Do not add salt because there is enough salt in the meat already.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 1 1/2hr.
- In the mean time, cut the bread into dices and fry the in olive oil. Dry with a towel and set aside
- Take the ham and smoked ham, ham hock, thyme and bay leave out of the soup. Blend the soup in a blender
- Cut the some smoked ham and ham hock into bite size pieces, put back in soup. When you serve the soup, top with bread croutons.