If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Spicy and smoky, this is a delicious go to chili recipe. I put a big pot on the stove early in the weekend, and everyone eats for 2 days. —Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Makes 10 bowls
- 1.5 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions (diced)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon dried jalapeno pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoky paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 25 dried chili de arbol (stems and seeds removed)
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 can red kidney beans
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can hot green hatch chilies
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 quart low sodium broth (I used homemade smoky turkey broth)
- olive oil
- Start by prepping the chilis de arbol. Remove most of the seeds from the chilies by cracking them in half. Char the chilies for 3-4 minutes in a dry saute pan. Cover with 3 cups of boiling water and let sit for 30 minutes. Puree in a food processor and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, brown the ground beef over medium heat for 8 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil to the beef fat and remaining beef bits. Add both onions, cumin, cayenne, coriander, jalapeno flakes, smoky paprika, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir in. Let cook for 3 minutes. Add can of crushed tomatoes and some more salt and pepper. Stir in 1/4 cup of flour to thicken, and bring to a simmer.
- Add chili de arbol puree/liquid and stir in. Bring back to a simmer. Add ground beef, corn, kidney and black beans, and chilies. Bring to a simmer
- Add turkey, beef or chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 30 minutes. Serve with shredded cheese, cilantro and diced onion.