Author Notes: Mild creamy cauliflower provides the perfect backdrop for this flavor packed "garnish". The velvety texture of this soup is amazing! This is a go to starter when you need something quick, but still want to impress. You can really use any flavored olive oil, basil, orange, etc. —Devon Troy Alexander
Makes: approx. 1/2 gallon
head of cauliflower (approx 2# 1.5" pieces, stem included)
cups chicken stock or mild vegetable stock
pinch white pepper
truffle oil (white or black)
- Heat 2-3 tbsp olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan (6-8 qt ) Saute the onion over med heat for 7-8 min until just translucent (DO NOT BROWN)!
- Add the cauliflower, stock and water. Cauliflower should be almost immersed. Raise the heat slightly, cover the pot tightly and cook until cauliflower is very tender, about 25-30 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool slightly.
- Puree with an immersion blender until velvety smooth. Add water to thin if necessary. Add white pepper and salt to taste.
- Ladle into warm shallow bowls, drizzle generously with truffle oil, a pinch of fresh ground pepper, and snipped chives or slivered green onions.
- This soup can be made with all water, but I like the richness the broth adds. This soup is cauliflower in all it's pure simple glory, but the truffle oil takes this soup to a whole other dimension!