Author Notes: Lady Grey is my very favourite black tea. Its strong and fruity at the same time and is great to wake me up in the morning or after a long day. For this recipe you can use both, Lady or Earl Grey tea, they taste very similar. The combination with lemon zest makes is zingy and fresh, a perfect combination. —Ina
- 200 milliliters milk (I use semi-skimmed)
- 2-3 Earl/Lady Grey teabags
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 4 + 2.7 ounces butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 2 unwaxed lemons (zest and juice)
- Preheat the oven for 180°C/356°F.
- Heat the milk until it is steaming hot, remove from the hob, add the teabags and leave in there for 3 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the butter (4 ounces) with the sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat it in well.
- Add the flour and milk while whisking.
- Spoon the dough into cup cake cases and bake for about 20 minutes (or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cupcake comes out clean). Leave to cool down.
- For the icing, beat the butter (2.7 ounces) with icing sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Spread out on the cooled down cupcakes. You can keep them in the fridge for a couple of days.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea