If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the first recipe I ever made for homemade Christmas gifts. It is from my Mom and I've adapted it over time. Even though I don't make this candy to give away anymore, I still make it during the holiday seasons. The ingredients are so simple and the candy is always a hit. For beginning edible gift makers, this is a great recipe to start with. —Kelsey Banfield
Serves: 1 10x15 jelly roll pan
unsalted saltine crackers
sticks unsalted butter
cup dark brown sugar
ounces semisweet chocolate chips
cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 10x15 jelly roll pan with aluminum foil, folding the extra foil up the sides and over the rim.
- Line up crackers snuggly on the sheet so that they all fit side by side. They might overlap a little bit, that is OK.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and sugar until warm and just starting the bubble. Remove it from the heat and pour it over the crackers. The crackers will "float" a little bit in the pan.
- Bake crackers for 8 minutes. Then, remove the pan from the oven and immediately scatter the chocolate chips over the crackers. Working quickly, with an offset spatula smooth the chocolate chips over the top as they melt. Then, distribute the sliced almonds evenly over the top. OTHER TOPPING IDEAS in lieu of almonds: Red, Green & White sprinkles to make it festive, Sea Salt, Chopped Hazelnuts
- Place pan in the refrigerator to cool and set for at least 2 hours. Once totally chilled, remove pan from fridge and break into squares. Store in sealed container in the fridge until ready to distribute.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Edible Gift