Author Notes: There is nothing like waking up to a still-warm bake, fresh from the oven.
Madeleines make it eay to arm yourself with 'oven-fresh'. They come, make to bake in 20 minutes, or less...or slightly more but half an hour should see you done, almost ready to bite.
These madeleines are world lovers. From east (Middle east/Pistachios and Rosewater) to east (Japan/Matcha) and west (France/Madeleine), they have a way of weaving hearts, making peace and filling bellies with delight.
Join me, join them on a delicious world tour that will reward you with the floral scents of the Middle East, and all the elegance of France.
I couldn't find my rose petals, otherwise I think they would have made for a gorgeous topping. Sigh. A case of too many things in the store cupboard! —Kitchen Butterfly
8 tablespoons melted (brown) butter, (6 for batter, 2 for greasing the pan)
2 teaspoons Matcha
7 tablespoons icing sugar (6 for batter, and 1 combined with 1/2 teaspoon matcha to dust the molds)
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, separated ( with whites beaten till stiff)
2 teaspoons rose water
3 - 4 tablespoons raw, shelled pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F (about 180 deg C). Prepare you madeleine moulds (I have a 9-mold madeleine pan - you will need two) by greasing with melted butter. Combine 1 tablespoon icing sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of matcha and sift over greased molds. No need to shake off the excess.
- In a bowl, sift the flour, the remaining 6 tablespoons of icing sugar, the remaining 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of matcha and baking powder together.
- Gently whisk in the remaining 6 tablespoons of butter, the egg yolks and the rosewater - the mixture will be stiff. Don't worry, and don't over whisk. Add the whipped egg whites to the mix and gently fold into the mixture till well combined.
- Spoon the batter into the molds, about two-thirds full (a heaped teaspoon). Sprinkle the chopped pistachios on to and bake the madeleines in the centre of the pre-heated oven for 10 - 12 minutes until golden and well-risen, with a bronzed rim.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Eat how you like, preferably with some steaming hot tea.