If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is pretty much the only casserole I ever make. It's rich, filling and healthy and the same time.
This casserole is made out of a thick, hearty stew of white bean and chicken, topped with creamy mashed sweet potatoes and, if you like, a generous sprinkle of mozzarella.
You can make this casserole without the sweet potato topping and it's a great, flavourful stew on it's own. This recipe serves a crowd , but you could halve the recipe, and divide them into individual portions to freeze and bake whenever you want it.
view the original post here: http://littleaccidentsinthekitchen.blogspot.sg/2013/02/white-bean-chicken-sweet-potato.html —littleaccidentsinthekitchen
Serves 12-16 people
Mashed Sweet Potato Topping
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk, or as needed
White bean & Chicken Filling
- 3/4 cup steel cut oats/quick oats/instant oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1 pound boneless chicken meat, diced (or ground chicken meat)
- 2 cans of white beans
- 3/4 cup stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (optional)
- Wrap sweet potatoes in aluminium foil and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes to an hour, until very soft to the touch.
- Remove skins from the sweet potatoes and mash them till smooth. Add milk if the potatoes are too dry or not creamy enough and whisk till smooth.
- Cook oats with water and salt. If using steel cut oats, simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. If using quick cook or instant oatmeal, follow directions on the package.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add celery, carrot, onion and mushrooms. Saute till onions are soft and translucent.
- Add chicken, white beans, stock, soy sauce, paprika, and parsley and cooked oats. Stir till well combined and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in 1 cup of mozzarella. Spread onto a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Spread mashed sweet potato over the mixture in the baking dish.
- (Optional) Sprinkle 2 cups of mozzarella over the sweet potato.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 30 to 35 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast