If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Kickup your weeknight sloppy joes with bison meat. This recipe was inspired by the 2013 inaugural luncheon and Ellie Krieger's healthy sloppy joes. You can also make this dish with ground beef or make it vegetarian with minced mushrooms. —Cherian
- 1 pound ground bison (typically available at Whole Foods)
- 1 medium onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 jalpeno minced (seeded or omitted depending on your spice preference)
- 1 red bell pepper (seeded and minced)
- 1 can low-sodium pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 handful wild mushrooms (minced)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- .5 cups diced tomatoes
- pickles for garnish
- 8-10 whole wheat buns
- 1 splash red wine (Malbec, Pinot Noir, etc.)
- Brown the bison meat in a large nonstick skillet. As it begins to brown, add the onions and continue to cook until translucent. Drain excess drippings and add garlic, jalapeno, and bell pepper. Continue to cook until cooked through (about 4-5 minutes). Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook for a least five more minutes. Mixture should be thick and spoonable. Add to whole wheat buns and top with pickles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast
More Great Recipes: Entrees