If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My Aunt Sandy, a fabulous cook in her own right turned me on to this recipe...it is lush and exotic and doesn't taste anywhere near as inexpensive as it is. There are a few "fancy" add-ins, but the big flavor punch comes from a long slow cook. This takes a really long time, but most of it is waiting occasional stirring time It's a lovely dinner party dish, I usually start the party with homemade hummus with hazelnuts & pita chips then serve the chicken atop a pile of buttery cous-cous and a cucumber yogurt salad with fresh chilies lots of fresh herbs....dessert is mint tea, some big fat dates, the remaining pistachios, whatever fruit is in season and a few chunks of halvah. You can use the remaining Pomegranate juice& fresh Ginger to make Ginger Pomegrante martinis! (This is also wonderful though far less of a cheap eat with Lamb) —Aliwaks
- 12-15 Large bone in Skin on Chicken thighs
- 5 Cloves garlic
- 4 cups sliced yellow onion
- 2 cinnamon sticks or 1.5 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Chopped fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3-4 green cardamon pods
- 2 cups Pomegranate Juice
- 3 Large cans crushed San Marzano Tomatoes (not with basil)
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Fresh Mint
- Fresh Cilantro
- 1/2 cup Chopped toasted pistachios
- Heat olive oil over medium heat ...add Onions, Ginger, Cinnamon Stick, Crushed cardamon pods, 1 tablespoon of ground cumin, Urfa Pepper and season with..salt & pepper
- Lower heat and saute until onions soften and get a wee bit brown on the edges, about 15 minutes
- Add tomatoes, pomegranate juice & honey, stir well and cook down stirring occasionally for at least 3 hours, maybe more, you want it to get dark and sticky, almost like barbeque sauce, it shoud reduce down at least by half-- You can do this a day ahead
- Dry Chicken thighs well and season on both sides with Salt, Pepper & remaining Cumin.
- Working in batches brown the Chicken on both sides, make sure they have room or else the will steam and the skin will get rubbery...you want it nice & crisp, but the thighs should not cook through
- Once all the chicken is finished layer them in a large dutch oven or any other oven proof dish large enough to hold them in 1 or 2 layers
- Pour over chicken and bake @ 350 for 1 hours
- Right before serving cover with a flurry of chopped pistachios, mint & cilantro Can be made 1 day ahead and reheated (even better actually)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast