Sometimes I'm lazy, Sometimes I REALLY have to watch my budget, and Sometimes I am just hungry for cabbage. No matter the amount of people I am having I always make this much soup so I can freeze it and pull it out of the freezer for any of the times you just read about! —Kathy Allen
- Serves 8 to 12
bread cubes, (I use pumpernickel and rye but whole wheat will do)
medium yellow onions, sliced
sliced cabbage, I use red and green and if I'm really feeling lazy I buy 2 bags of the type for coleslaw instead
Mrs. Dash herb spices
cloves of garlic, chopped
vegetable broth, no-salt added type
shredded swiss (swiss is really low in sodium)
- Place large soup pot on stovetop and heat to medium.
- Add one T olive oil over medium heat and add bread to crisp a little. Stir around and then use spoon to remove to a bowl before it burns.
- Add remaining T of oil and place all cabbage and garlic and onion in pot.
- Add veggie broth and water and cook til boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium and add spices and stir. Simmer at least 45 minutes. The longer the better.
- Place bread cubes in individual serving bowls. Add pinch of cheese to each one. Pour soup over cubes and cheese when ready to serve.
- Add small dollop of sour cream on top each bowl before serving.
- Place remaining bread cubes, cheese and sour cream beside pot so people can refill.