If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A smooth broccoli soup without the cream. —PA-PETE
Makes 12 cups (more or less)
- 1/3 cup Olive Oil
- 3 cups Spanish onion, chopped (1 large)
- 2 cups Leeks, trimmed, washed, & chopped (3 large)
- 8 Cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup Dry Vermouth (optional but nice for added flavor)
- 8 cups Broccoli, stems and heads, chopped (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon Fresh sage, mined fine
- 1 tablespoon Fresh thyme, mined fine
- 1/2 teaspoon aleppo pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Ground fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt (or to taste)
- 10 Grinds of black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground coriander (optional)
- 12 cups Low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons White wine vinegar (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons Reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil. Add onions and leeks. Sweat the onions until soft and translucent but not browned. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until garlic becomes fragrant. Add the dry vermouth to deglaze the pot and boil down the liquid by half.
- Add broccoli, potato, and all herbs and spices to pot and stir until herbs and spices become fragrant. Add stock to the pot and simmer for 40 minutes (more or less) until veggies become very tender. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and soy sauce. In a blender, puree the soup in batches. Strain through a sieve for a smoother product. Add the grated cheese and stir in until well blended.
- Serve with roasted potato croutons