Author Notes: One day I didn't have time to grocery shop and my fridge was almost bare except for the basics. I came up with this recipe and my fiance and I loved it! Now he asks for it all the time. —Yasmin Hall
medium yellow onions
packet onion soup mix
pieces white bread
medium slices mozzerella cheese
- wash,slice your onions.
- heat up a fry pan with the butter in pan
- add the onions and pepper
- cook until the onions are golden and caramelized, around 15 minutes
- in a medium saucepan add the soup mix to 2 cups of water, whisk until cooked.
- toast the 2 pieces of bread
- add the onions to the soup mix, cook another 2 minutes.
- fill 2 French onion ramekin dishes 3/4 full with the soup/onions
- trim the crusts of the toast
- add 1 piece of toast to each ramekin dish, pressing down so they absorb the soup
- Place a slice of cheese on top of the wet toast
- cover the dishes with the lids
- place in oven at 350F and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with ramekin dish on a plate, as it is hot! take lid of as you serve it with an oven mitt.
- Bonn Appetit
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast