If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Gloriously spring- tart and sweet. One day my favorite ingredients just ended up together, don't you love it when that happens. —Laura Ramey
Serves 2 heartily
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup walnuts
Fennel Apple Salad
- 2 Fennel heads
- 1 Fuji apple
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 Red Butter head lettuce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Balsalmic or red wine vinegar
- Make Candied Walnuts- In a medium sized skillet over medium head toast walnuts in olive oil lightly- about 4 minutes- stirring continuously.
- Still stirring continuously add sugar- cook until sugar becomes liquid about 3 minutes depending on your heat.
- Turning up your heat slightly lean back and add cayenne pepper- Continue to stir about 1 minute
- pour nut mixture on a sheet of parchment paper or other nonstick surface, spreading as you go. Allow to cool.
- Break up nuts, store in a pint sized canning Jar
- Make Fennel Apple salad- Add lemon juice to large bowl cold water.
- Wash Fennel bulb- discard outer leaves if blemished. Cut lengthwise, then slice into large matchstick sized pieces. Place in lemon water to prevent browning.
- Wash Apple. Cut into large matchstick sized pieces. place in lemon water with the fennel.
- Prepare lettuce- wash, spin and tear into bite sized pieces. arrange on platter.
- Drain Fennel and Apple slices in colander- shake to remove any excess water. Arrange atop lettuce.
- Combine olive oil and vinegar in a pint sized canning jar with a lid. Shake vigorously to emulsify.
- Serve salad to individual plates, Dress with vinegarette and add candied walnuts to taste.
- Store any leftover candied walnuts in cupboard. They will keep month.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel