- Serves 2 Heartily
Gloriously spring- tart and sweet. One day my favorite ingredients just ended up together, don't you love it when that happens. —Laura Ramey
- Candied Walnuts
extra virgin olive oil
- Fennel Apple Salad
Red Butter head lettuce
Balsalmic or red wine vinegar
In This Recipe
- Make Candied Walnuts- In a medium sized skillet over medium head toast walnuts in olive oil lightly- about 4 minutes- stirring continuously.
- Still stirring continuously add sugar- cook until sugar becomes liquid about 3 minutes depending on your heat.
- Turning up your heat slightly lean back and add cayenne pepper- Continue to stir about 1 minute
- pour nut mixture on a sheet of parchment paper or other nonstick surface, spreading as you go. Allow to cool.
- Break up nuts, store in a pint sized canning Jar
- Make Fennel Apple salad- Add lemon juice to large bowl cold water.
- Wash Fennel bulb- discard outer leaves if blemished. Cut lengthwise, then slice into large matchstick sized pieces. Place in lemon water to prevent browning.
- Wash Apple. Cut into large matchstick sized pieces. place in lemon water with the fennel.
- Prepare lettuce- wash, spin and tear into bite sized pieces. arrange on platter.
- Drain Fennel and Apple slices in colander- shake to remove any excess water. Arrange atop lettuce.
- Combine olive oil and vinegar in a pint sized canning jar with a lid. Shake vigorously to emulsify.
- Serve salad to individual plates, Dress with vinegarette and add candied walnuts to taste.
- Store any leftover candied walnuts in cupboard. They will keep month.