If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Our son, Ari Radcliffe, who is an aspiring chef just came back from a home-stay in Costa Rica. He discovered Chayote in the marketplace and invented this refreshing salad full of textures and flavors. It's delightful! —Beth Radcliffe
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- 2 Chayotes
- 6 Carrots
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Ginger
- Wash fennel, carrots, and cilantro.
- Remove core from fennel and chop bulb into thin slices. Rip 1/5 of fennel fronds in pieces for garnish. Discard rest of fennel.
- Chop the carrot(s) into as thinly sliced disks as possible. Add to fennel slices.
- Skin chayote and cut in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Boil chayote pieces in lightly salted water, until extremely soft, as if it could be mashed or almost fall apart (approx. 20-30 minutes). Strain and allow to cool (should be either cold or warm, not hot).
- Mix saved ingredients in salad bowl, except fennel fronds
- To Make Dressing: In small bowl whisk together salt, oil, lemon juice, and balsamic vinaigrette. Peel ginger. Mince ginger very finely. Add to dressing.
- .Dress salad. Top with fronds and with cilantro leaves for garnish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel