Author Notes: I've been making variations of this recipe for years. It's light and fresh, a perfect springtime hors-d'oeuvre. The unwavering ingredient in the rolls is fennel. Its crisp texture and cool anise-y flavor offset the supple prosciutto and soft greens. Be sure to give a good whisk to the oil to lightly infuse it with the crushed garlic clove. —TasteFood
cup extra-virgin olive oil
small garlic clove, smashed with the blade of a knife
teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
prosciutto slices, halved lengthwise
cups baby arugula leaves
medium fennel bulb, fronds trimmed, halved lengthwise, each half thinly sliced lengthwise
ounces Parmigiano cheese, shaved
cup mint leaves, torn if large
- Whisk oil, garlic, zest and pepper in a small bowl with several strokes to infuse the oil with the garlic.
- Place a slice of prosciutto on a work surface, short end closest to you. Lightly brush with olive oil.
- Arrange 6 to 8 arugula leaves at the base. Place a few slices of fennel and Parmigiano shavings over the arugula. Top with a few pieces of mint. Roll up from the base, tucking the prosciutto tightly around the vegetables. Continue to roll, placing 1 or 2 additional arugula leaves in the fold as you roll up. Place seam side down on a platter.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
More Great Recipes: