Author Notes: There's simply nothing like a crumbly and flaky, melt in your mouth pastry crust. Kerrygold Irish butter is the butter I grew up on in Ireland so it's only natural that I continue to use it. I urge you to try thus creamy golden butter and taste the difference in your crusts. —Rachel Gaffney
- 6 tablespoons Kerrygold Salted Butter
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons Iced water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a food processor, whirl together flour and salt. Add butter, pulsing until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add water 1 teaspoon at a time, process just until dough clumps together and begins to form a ball.
- Flour your surface and roll out into .
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place rolled pastry on top.
Sticky Fennel & Apple Filling
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled & chopped
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- Heat the sugar and water together in a saucepan.
- Once the sugar is dissolved , stir in the fennel and apple. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until softened. Stir in cornstarch.
- Spoon mixture onto rolled out dough. Slowly draw the pastry towards the center of the mixture
- Bake in pre heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel