Author Notes: Hosting frequent meals for friends and neighbors, I get bored quickly of making the same old things time and time again. I love brussels sprouts and had hoped to make maple balsamic glazed sprouts with pomegranate seeds (inspired by the blogger behind A Cozy Kitchen). Alas, I could not find pomegranate seeds (even after I sent my poor boyfriend to five different supermarkets in search of them), and I the maple syrup was a bit too sugary for me. I substituted honey and sauteed plums instead, and was blown away by the perfectly sweet yet tart result. —PalateGal
Serves about 6 people
Brussels sprouts and plums
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, washed, ends cut off, halved
- 4 Plums, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss halved brussels sprouts in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for about an hour, until beginning to crisp and brown (more or less depending on your oven and how crispy you like the sprouts).
- Saute plum pieces over medium heat until tender but not mushy.
- Whisk together honey, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt.
- Combine brussels sprouts and plums. Gradually mix in glaze to taste (I tend to use a little less than I make to get just enough but not too much sweetness).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar