Author Notes: It hit me one day. Why is oatmeal typically themed around sweet toppings? Why can'€™t I go savory? This simple recipe uses soft boiled eggs as the centerpiece, with Asian themed accompaniments. The best part is breaking into the soft boiled egg, and incorporating that liquid gold into the oats. The accompaniments play the perfect supporting role. This is my favorite breakfast to start a big day. —Tommy Nagy
cup steel cut oats
cup green onion, thinly sliced
- Prepare steel cut oats according to package instructions.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Carefully place eggs into boiling water, and set your timer between 5-6 minutes. The more time, the firmer your yolk.
- Remove eggs from saucepan, and place in bowl of cool water to stop the cooking. In the sink, with your faucet running, carefully peel the eggs, using the water pressure to assist in removing the shell and membrane.
- Divide the oats into two bowls. Place a peeled egg in each bowl, on top of the oats. Garnish with green onions, Siracha, vinegar and soy sauce, to taste
- Mix it up, and enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal