If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The earthy-sweet flavor of geitost (Norwegian brown goat cheese) and golden beets is offset by the peppery flavor of watercress tamed with walnut oil and the sweet taste of white balsamic vinegar in this striking composed salad.
This is an original recipe by Daytona Strong of Outside Oslo. It was published this spring in the Norwegian American Weekly (http://blog.norway.com...). —Daytona Strong
small golden beets of similar size and shape
thin slices of geitost (Norwegian brown goat cheese)
tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
tablespoon walnut oil
- Steam beets until tender. When cool enough to handle, remove the skins and trim the bottom, creating a flat base. Refrigerate until complete cooled.
- Meanwhile, cut geitost into circles similar in diameter as the beets. This can be easily done using a clean lid of a milk carton or olive oil as a cutter.
- When ready to serve, slice the beets into fifths, and layer with the slices of geitost. Set aside while preparing the salad.
- Trim the watercress and wash and dry the leaves and thin stems. Make the dressing by vigorously stirring together the vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper with a fork until emulsified. Toss the watercress with the dressing and arrange on a platter. Make beds for the beets and place them on the platter.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar