Author Notes: I had been hearing about how delicious mashed cauliflower was, but couldn't find a recipe that inspired me to go ahead and try it. I decided to use ingredients that taste good in mashed potatoes, combined with some of the ingredients I use in making curry. The recipe can easily be adapted to vegan, and the seasonings adjusted to your own tastes. Our family likes their food SPICY! Cauliflower prepared this way satyrs the same "mouth feel"(?) as mashed potatoes. My mashed potato-loving husband didn't want anything to do with this dish, until we talked him into trying a tiny spoonful. He fell in love and promptly ate three servings! —fur8elise
Serves: 4-6 side dishes, depending on how big your cauliflower is.
Cloves garlic, steamed along with the cauliflower
Bunch greens, any kind(optional)
teaspoon Curry powder
teaspoons Chili pepper flakes
teaspoons Salt and pepper, or to taste
tablespoons Fat of your choice(butter, evoo, coconut or olive oil)
cup Sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Cut up the cauliflower into florets and stems and core into roughly 11/2 inch chunks. Steam in a steamer basket along with the Garlic Cloves over boiling water about 20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, put one tablespoon of oil or butter in a frying pan along with the red pepper flakes and curry powder. Stir over low heat until fragrant.
- Transfer cauliflower to the frying pan and lightly brown in batches if necessary. Then transfer cauliflower to your food processor.
- If using greens, wilt them in the frying pan, then add to food processor.
- Add garlic cloves and horseradish to food processor and 1-2 tablespoons of butter or fat/oil of choice, salt and pepper, and 1/4 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt.
- Process until smooth, scraping down sides of processor as necessary.
- Reheat, if necessary, to serve hot.