Author Notes: This is a versatile sweet / spicy / tart glaze that combines some western sensibilites (Coca Cola, molasses) with the perfume of the Far East in the spices and pungent fish sauce. I am calling for 1 tbs of chili paste here, but if you are like me you will taste it and then plop another spoonful in - that's a chili head thing and not for everyone. You can use this on short ribs, BBQ tofu, to glaze roasted veggies or grilled ribs. Me, I am brushing it on a flank steak while it grills this evening, then slicing it over salad greens with slivered onion and cucumber, and some fresh cilantro. —aargersi
Serves app 1 cup
- 6 whole green cardamom pods
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon whole white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1" slice ginger root
- 1 - 12 ounces can Coca-Cola (no diet!)
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon sambal olek
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Gently toast the whole spices in a saucepan until they are fragrant (I LOVE the smell of toasted white peppercorn in particular). Add the Coke, coffee, garlic and ginger and simmer gently until it has reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Strain the liquid into something - I just use a 2 cup measuring cup. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Taste for heat (I add more chili) and salt (you can add a splash more fish sauce or tamari).
- That's all there is to it - brush it on whatever you are grilling, and enjoy!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
More Great Recipes: Condiments