If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a versatile sweet / spicy / tart glaze that combines some western sensibilites (Coca Cola, molasses) with the perfume of the Far East in the spices and pungent fish sauce. I am calling for 1 tbs of chili paste here, but if you are like me you will taste it and then plop another spoonful in - that's a chili head thing and not for everyone. You can use this on short ribs, BBQ tofu, to glaze roasted veggies or grilled ribs. Me, I am brushing it on a flank steak while it grills this evening, then slicing it over salad greens with slivered onion and cucumber, and some fresh cilantro. —aargersi
Serves app 1 cup
- 6 whole green cardamom pods
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 tablespoon whole white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1" slice ginger root
- 1 - 12 ounces can Coca-Cola (no diet!)
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon sambal olek
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Gently toast the whole spices in a saucepan until they are fragrant (I LOVE the smell of toasted white peppercorn in particular). Add the Coke, coffee, garlic and ginger and simmer gently until it has reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Strain the liquid into something - I just use a 2 cup measuring cup. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Taste for heat (I add more chili) and salt (you can add a splash more fish sauce or tamari).
- That's all there is to it - brush it on whatever you are grilling, and enjoy!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
More Great Recipes: