If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I buy rhubarb every time I go to the grocery store when it's in season and I wanted something new to do with it so this ice cream is the result. It's essentially a rhubarb-strawberry compote folded into heavy cream and frozen like ice cream. This keeps the flavors bright. It would be fantastic served with shortbread or angel food cake. —Gibson2011
Makes 1.5 qts
- 5 cups rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
- 1.5 cups strawberries, hulled and halved, if large
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Make the rhubarb-strawberry compote: place fruit and sugar with a few tablespoons of water in a deep pot. Over medium-high, bring to a boil and stir occasionally till fruit is soft and breaks down upon stirring. Remove from heat, transfer to bowl, and chill.
- Once compote is cold, stir in cream and return to fridge. Chill 3-6 hours. Freeze in ice cream maker, according to machine directions.
- Note: I was able to fit all of the mixture into my ice cream maker (Cuisinart 1.5 Qt), but it was very very full. If this bothers you, remove 1/2 C - 1 C of the mixture and use for another purpose (would be good in oatmeal, stirred into granola, etc).