If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I absolutely love pesto and pasta. However, a few years back due to health issues, I removed dairy from my diet and gluten as well recently. This pesto pasta completely satisfies my craving for the traditional variety without any of the health concerns. Plus, it uses nutrient dense kale, a superfood everyone should include in their diet! —Tina Paymaster
Makes a few servings of pesto
- 1/2-3/4 bunch of organic kale (any variety)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 shallots
- 1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- brown rice pasta
- Remove rough stems of kale and roughly chop leaves.
- Bring a medium size pot of lightly salted water to a low boil and add in kale (you could steam the kale as well.) Cook kale until just wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove kale, rinse under cold water and squeeze dry.
- Use the same water in pot to cook pasta according to package directions.
- Put the kale and the remainder of the ingredients, except olive oil, into a food processor and process until smooth.
- Slowly add in olive oil while still pureeing.
- Drain pasta, reserving some of the cooking liquid.
- Add a few spoonfuls of pesto into pasta, using reserved cooking liquid to think out sauce as desired.