Author Notes: Coconut Pecan Crusted Chicken Breast Cutlets served with a Sweet and Spicy Apricot Sauce —Karista
Coconut Pecan Crusted Chicken Breast Cutlets
Chicken breast cutlets (thin chicken breasts)
cups Shredded coconut
cup Chopped pecans
cup All-purpose flour
Eggs whisked with a tablespoon water
tablespoon Chopped fresh Italian parsley for garnish
Sweet and Spicy Apricot Sauce
cup Apricot preserves
teaspoons Grated fresh ginger
tablespoons Sweet chili sauce from Thai Kitchen
cup white wine, sherry, saki or water
In This Recipe
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- In a food processor add the coconut and pecans and pulse until nicely ground together, like bread crumbs. Set aside. Per a lovely readers comments, a few tablespoons of panko can be added to the breading for a little extra texture and crunch.
- Set out three bowls. One with flour, one with egg wash and the last one with the coconut pecan mixture.
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper. Lightly dust the chicken in the flour, then the egg wash and then press them into the coconut pecan mixture. Place them on a platter. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 15-30 minutes. This step can be done in the morning and then baked in the evening for dinner.
- Transfer the chicken to a parchment lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the pre-heated oven for about 20-30 minutes, depending on thickness or until the chicken is done. I cook my chicken until the internal temperature reaches about 160F. I highly recommend having a meat thermometer handy for cooking poultry and meat.
- Once the chicken is done, take the chicken out of the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
- For the sauce: In a bowl mix together all the ingredients. You can lightly warm the sauce in a small pan stove top or in the microwave. Don’t over warm or the sauce will be too runny. The sauce will thin once it’s paired with the warm chicken.
- To serve: Ladle a bit of the sauce onto four plates. Place a piece of chicken on the sauce and garnish with chopped fresh Italian parsley. Serve with coconut rice and fresh greens with a sesame dressing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut