If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Devil's Food Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup freshly brewed hot coffee
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat the over to 350. Prepare two 9 inch cake pans.
- Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add in the sugar and beat 2 to 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add in the eggs one at a time.
- In a small bowl, measure cocoa and stir in the freshly brewed hot coffee until completely dissolved. Set aside to let cool.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk milk into reserved cocoa mixture. With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour and cocoa mixtures to the batter, a little of each at a time, starting and ending with flour mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until tester comes out clean. Allow cakes to rest in pans for 10 minutes before turning out and transferring to wire racks to cool. Allow to cool completely.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache using a double boiler. Heat the chocolate and cream until melted, stirring frequently. Add instant coffee and stir until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving platter; spread 1/3 of the chocolate ganache on top. Cover with sliced strawberries, working around the outside of the cake in. Drizzle ganache on top. Add a second layer of strawberries. Drizzle with ganache. Place the second cake on top. Spread 1/3 ganache on top and cover with strawberries. Finish by drizzling with the remaining ganache.
- To make the whipped cream, beat 1 cup heavy cream and 2 tbsp powdered sugar until it forms stiff peaks. Add 1 tsp almond extract and mix until combined.
- Cut the cake and serve with a big dollop of fresh whipped cream.