Author Notes: Certainly more goes into a Manhattan than whiskey and a cherry, but these two ingredients alone are almost enough for me. I like this recipe on its own, but a drizzle of dark chocolate syrup wouldn't hurt. —Angela @ the well-worn apron
Food52 Review: The creaminess of a simple custard base, the whisper of whiskey, and the tart bite of cherries: this ice cream has it all. This frozen twist on a classic cocktail is just the thing needed after a long day out in the sun or stuck behind a desk. Do yourself and your taste buds a favor and invest in an ice cream machine (if you haven't already) simply so you can make this delicious dessert. Finish a bowl off with your favorite toppings or leave it plain; either way, you cannot go wrong. —snowcitygirl
Serves: 4 to 6
cup (packed) dried cherries
cup rye whiskey, such as Wild Turkey
Ice Cream Base
large egg yolks
cups whole milk
cups whipping cream
tablespoon rye whiskey, such as Wild Turkey
- Make the Manhattaned cherries: Combine cherries, whiskey, and sugar in a small saucepan, and simmer until the cherries soften and the liquid reduces to a thin syrup, 7 to 8 minutes. Put the fruit and syrup into a medium bowl, stir occasionally to coat, and cool the fruit.
- Begin the ice cream base: Whisk egg yolks and sugar in large bowl until blended.
- Cook the milk and whipping cream in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat until almost simmering. Remove the milk and cream from the heat and gradually whisk it into yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until custard thickens, about 15 minutes. Do not boil. Then add whiskey, strain custard into bowl, and cool. Refrigerate until cold.
- Transfer chilled ice cream base to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions. Place ice cream in a storage container. Fold in cherries and freeze ice cream in covered container until firm, about 4 hours. (Can be prepared up to 3 days ahead.)
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert