Author Notes: Savoury cannellini beans baked into crunchy snack. —LastOnTheList
cup dry cannellini beans
cloves of garlic
tablespoons olive oil
In This Recipe
- Soak the dry cannellini beans in water over night, or for 8 hours.
- Drain and wash the beans with fresh water. Add the beans to a pot and cover with fresh water, so that the water is an inche above the beans. Bring to boil and then lower to a simmer.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the beans are cooked through but still have a bite.
- Strain and lay out on a tray to cool.
- Add the olive oil into a pot and heat on medium heat. Once heated add the sage leaves and fry until crisp. Take them out and lay them on paper towel for later use.
- Lower heat to medium-low and add smashed garlic cloves and saute for 1 minute until the oil becomes fragrant with the garlic. Remove garlic for other use (good on toast).
- Mix the cooled beans with the olive oil to coat. Lay out in an even, single layer on a baking tray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes, mixing once, until all the beans are crispy. Add salt for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Let cool for a few minutes. Crumple up the fried sage leaves and mix back into the beans for added flavour and texture. ENJOY!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack