If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love the idea of unscripted desserts that require little skill and just minutes to put together. This recipe derives inspiration from the Indian sweet treat - Burfi. My version veers from tradition but is no less decadent. If you are looking for a chewy, cookie alternative, you have found it! These clusters are elegant and just perfectly sweet. —FeastofGreens
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ghee (See recipe below)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lemon - zest and juice
- standard cupcake liners
- Combine coconut, sugar, ghee and water in a pan and cook over medium heat. Stir continuously until the mixture leaves the sides and comes together to form a loose ball. Mix in lemon juice and zest. Measure out 1 tablespoon portions into cupcake liners. Work rapidly. These will harden as they cool. Leftovers, although unlikely (!) can be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 days at room temperature.
- Crushed cardamom and nuts are traditional flavorings. You can experiment with any combination of citrus, ginger, vanilla, cinnamon, rose/ almond extract or even stir in some chocolate chips.
- For delicious homemade ghee...Melt a few sticks of sweet cream unsalted butter in a deep saucepan on medium heat. Cook until the milk solids rise to the top and start to turn a lovely shade of amber around the edges. Finished ghee will smell wonderfully nutty. Strain and store in a glass jar at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
More Great Recipes: